For high school students across the country, the prom is just around the corner. Everyone likes to look their best for one of the biggest school events of the year, and for a lot of students that means getting a beautiful tan.
Depending on who you are, getting a decent tan in time for prom could be just as easy as spending a little extra time in the sun or in a tanning booth. Or you can do a UV free spray on tan in the Mystic HD or the Versa Spa. Either way, Tropical Tan is committed to sunburn prevention and teaching teens and their parents about “Project Smart Teen.”
Tanning vs. Burning
It is generally accepted that younger people are more susceptible to sunburn than adults are. Yes, this includes high school students. Many people believe that getting sunburned is just part of the tanning process, one that is inevitable. This is a huge misconception. The truth is that your skin is designed to produce melanin when exposed to sunlight, which darkens the skin and helps to avoid sunburn.
Tanning is a natural process, a tan is a gradual increase in natural skin pigmentation and is your body’s natural way of building up protection against the injury of a sunburn. Keyword: build. You always want to build a tan.
Create a Base Tan
The best way to get an even tan without burning is to develop a base tan. When combined with proper sunscreen usage, a base tan will prevent burning when you’re in the sun. This is admittedly a more long-term solution to keeping a beautiful tan, but it is also one of the best. All it takes is short, regular sessions in a tanning booth, especially in the weeks before prom, vacation or before the summer season. It is important that teens who choose to tan practice Smart Tanning & sunburn prevention. Tropical Tan’s staff are Smart Tan Certified and we follow Smart Tanning guidelines. All teens and their parents must read and sign our Project Smart Teen, Smart Tanning for Teens pledge from the International Smart Tan Network before teens are allowed to tan at our facility.
Stick to Tanning Booths
You might be tempted to think that natural sunlight is best for tanning, but the truth is that people are less likely to burn when they use tanning booths. Tanning booths allow you to better control how much light you are getting, so you don’t have to worry about falling asleep or otherwise accidentally exposing yourself to too much light. That is how sunburns happen in most cases.
Always remember that there are risks involved whether you are sitting in the sun or in a tanning booth. Be very careful to take steps to prevent burning your skin. A Smart Tan certified salon can help you achieve a beautiful tan for prom without burning! Visit SmartTan.com to locate a certified salon in your area.
Smart Tanning For Teens
By practicing Smart Tanning, you develop your natural tan gradually, while reducing the chances of burning your skin.
Seven Steps to live by:
- Avoid Sunburn: The Golden Rule of Smart Tanning is the indispensable rule: Don’t ever sunburn. Work with your tanning facility to build your tan gradually.
- Know your Skin Type: A professional tanning facility will teach you your skin type on a scale from I to Vl and what that number means.
- Use Sunscreen Correctly: Use sunscreen outdoors correctly – even if you tan indoors. Apply a full-spectrum sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB rays before heading outside for best results. You can develop a tan outdoors while wearing sunscreen.
- Protect Your Eyes: When outside, protect your eyes with sunglasses that block the UVA and UVB rays. Always wear proper indoor tanning protective eyewear when tanning in a salon.
- Be Serious About Your Medications: Some medicines (including many antibiotics, acne medications and birth control pills) can make your skin more susceptible to sunburn and splotches. Talk to your tanning salon staff if you are taking any medications.
- Practice Makes Perfect: Like school and sports, avoiding sunburn is an everyday job. Make sunburn protection a habit.
- Give Yourself Time to Tan: Important events like prom, spring break, vacation and graduation take time to get ready for…so does tanning. Talk to your salon staff to get on a schedule that works for your skin type & your tanning goals.
Smart Tanning for Prom in Joplin
Tropical Tan is the only Smart Tan certified tanning salon in Joplin. As a Smart Tan Member, we adhere to the highest industry standards to ensure the best indoor tanning experience possible. Our team is fully trained in UV light administration, properly teaches sunburn prevention indoor and out, insists our clients wear FDA approved protective eyewear and hold tight to the highest sanitation standards.
Call us or come in with any questions you may have about smart tanning for prom. Tropical Tan is located at 7th & Illinois. Walk-ins are always welcome! (417) 782-3900
Click Here to See our April Specials!
Click Here to Learn How to Earn Free Tans!
©2012 BVDC | Photodune.net
No comments yet.